11.09.2015

Trampin' Thru Three States

Two weeks ago mi hermano, Wyatt, and I were discussing where I should ride to. You see, I had one whole Saturday without any obligations, the forecast was for sunshine and cool temperatures. Inside my head I hemmed and hawed about where I ought to roll to. Wyatt suggested Delaware because of Rommel Harley-Davidson. When the conversation ended, I only had a foggy idea of where I could end up. Saturday morning arrived and I was still in bed when I noticed the Autumn sunrise and I still wasn't committed to any particular destination, in fact, I was really poking around. Eventually I decided on visiting Chesapeake Harley-Davidson down at the Pennsylvania/Maryland border and Rommel Harley-Davidson over in New Castle, Delaware.
The route I decided was decidedly scenic and followed the Susquehanna River over in York County: PA624, PA425, PA74, SR2024 (Papermill Road, almost missed it!) Flintville Road on into Maryland on MD623. MD273 East over to DE9. The ride to Maryland was scenic...
Crossing the Susquehanna...



Along the Susquehanna on PA624




PA624 swung hard west up, around and through some tight turns. Another hard left and I was traveling south on some very rural southern York County roads. The Amish farmers were taking care of business in their fields and some of their children were surprised to see a "English man" roaring through their area. Oh, they refer to us non-Amish as "English"...I burned off a bunch more flicks before the camera batteries died somewhere around Atom Road...
Southern York County...




Riding into Maryland was exquisitely beautiful. I could smell the colors of the Autumn leaves and the sun through the trees splintered and dazzled like a sequin disco ball. I found Chesapeake Harley Davidson right at MD623 and US1. I supped on homemade apple crisp after spending 10 minutes inside, seven of those minutes were spent being polite to a very assertive saleslady. The ride over to Delaware was fine for the first 45 minutes after which the afternoon sky's began to match the urban gloomy-gray landscape of Northern Delaware. Ole Girl and I made our way through stop and go traffic-lights of the concrete jungle. We normally like to run free, however, the wall-to-wall strip-malls hobbled our movement. We reached Rommel Harley Davidson which used to be Famous Mike's.The outside of the dealership had a washed-out-gray-Dr. Who-industrial pallor. I tied up Ole Girl next to two freedom riders; I learned that they were out of Virginia.
 Inside I found the premises to be somewhat dark; the megaflake colors on some of the steeds looked like the Portland Head lighthouse at night.The salesmen seemed desperate for a sale and I was desperate to be back into the breeze. I decided to high-ball some miles west on Interstate 95 in order to for-go the agony of stop and go traffic. I saddled up, hit the wick and blasted on down the line to Route 896-896 becomes PA896. PA 896 was painfully slow at times as Amish gray-top buggies monopolized the roads that they don't pay taxes on; motorist not familiar with the Plain People were hobbled by indecision when ever there was an opportunity to pass-agonizing! Once we cleared Strasburg, Ole Girl and I blasted our way through more touristas that were poking along US30 in the area of the Tanger and Rockvale Outlets. We left the touristas in the dust and soon we were on the home stretch. I would have been a fool for not grabbing one of the last nice days of Autumn; Ole Girl and I made a deposit in the, for-what-it-is-worth column, by visiting Delaware. Whenever one has an opportunity, capitalize on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment