12.08.2014

The ALICE Trial

I swore that I would not get invovled in any ludicrious winter projects-Wyatt and my bride will vouch for me! Two Sundays ago, I decided, for reasons unknown, that I needed to make my ALICE pack work for touring luggage. If you have some spare time, you can check out these three posts in which I was obsessing about using my ALICE pack.
August 5, 2011
May 15, 2012
March 21, 2014
Let us get down to business...I started off with my 'medium' ALICE pack. The pack measures 19"x 20" x 11" and has a capcity of 2,350 cubic inches. The medium pack does not require the frame. I simply placed the pack over my sissy bar...
and secured the bottom of the pack to the sissy bar...
A very secure and simple!
Drawing on the succes with the medium pack I felt as though I had discovered a feasable method to attach my ruck/large ALICE pack to the sissy bar. The  large ALICE pack/ruck measures 22"x20"x19" with a capcity of 3,800 cubic inches. My ruck requires the use of a pack frame. In the past, the pack frame has been one of two obstacles that I have encountered in my attempts to utilize the ruck. The first obstacle was my insistance that my pack be horizontal instead of vertical; I have come to terms with this issue and I am willing to mount luggage vertically. Finding a solid method to secure the ruck was the second obstacle. The pack frame is mounted onto the sissy bar using the built-in pocket that the pack frame uses. The ruck is very secure with little to no free-play. Here is the ruck mounted:

Here can see how the pack fits int between the sissy bar (black object)

The idea of using an ALICE pack is very appealing because:
  • Load capacity: plenty of room with out having too much room for junk.
  • Intermediate size: Camelback pack was a little to small for a trip longer than three days. Tour Pak was too big.
  • Easy on, easy off.
  • Straps: Pack can be carried in a normal fashion with out having to be a contorsionist.
  • Built-in external pockets.
  • Rugged construction
So, the trial is simple: The ruck will remain mounted from now until late-spring. My family is praying that I experience a break-through so that my luggage obession ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment