8.12.2014

Old Iron Run: Day 1, Morning

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 NIV

I woke up not feeling 100%, in fact, I felt tired and sick. That is not good when you are looking at a 600 mile day! However, I would be sharing all of those 600 plus miles with Wyatt! And this is what our eyes saw when the garage door was opened...
gray dawn, heavy mist which could not make up its mind as to whether or not it wanted to rain or subside into fog. I pretended not to notice that the mist was becoming a 'spritz'; Wyatt suggested that he may don his rain suit-I chose to deny the obvious, even as the spritz became a drizzle. Nine mile later, the drizzle became full-on rain...

...and dogged us out for the next three hours or so until we stopped at 196 miles to water our steeds up around Indiana, Pennsylvania. Despite the liquid sunshine, we were blessed with some rather interesting atmospheric artwork...

We were granted a couple of hours of rain free riding and so we decided to secure our rain suits until we saw this somewhere on US 422 between Kittanning and Butler Pennsylvania...
...a wall of rain was playing out before us and I was really praying  that somehow the massive wall of dirty-cotton white rain clouds  would be pushed away from Wyatt and I. The closer we got, the more humid it became until it all dumped on us replete with flashes of lightening and peels of thunder! M&M sized raindrops pelted us as we hustled to put our rain suits back on! All the while I was laughing despite what was happening around us! Better to be sick, wet, chilly with a leg over the freedom-machine than to be dry and warm at work! I was rejoicing in the fact that I was riding with my brother! AS we rode forward into the torrential storm I wondered how the rest of our long day was going to play out...

No comments:

Post a Comment