4.22.2014

Nashville, TN to Charlottesville, VA

Wyatt and I seem to incorporate a twist into our trips, sometimes they are planned other times they just seem to materialize! Today would be our last full day on the road and we were not taking the most direct route back to Pennsylvania. The route towards home detoured us four hours due east on the super-slab to reach Maggie Valley, North Carolina. When I was working on this leg of the trip, I ran numerous combinations in order to find a feasible route. It finally boiled down to Wyatt and I committing ourselves to a very long day just so we could spend maybe four hours visiting Wheels Through Time. We left Nashville when it was still dark and the roads were deserted. Another bonus to our early ride out of Tennessee was that it was Sunday.

I do not recall stopping for a sit-down breakfast other than munching on some snacks, but at some point we pulled off the super-slab to take 10. Riding through the Smoky's was worth the ride on the super-slab...

Ole Girl and I had never rode'40 through the mountains and enjoyed the snaky turns and mountain views. We saw one wreck in the west lane and could see that our travel lane was tattooed with the tell-tale signs over-confidence and bad calls. I began to notice that the rumble-strips were filled up with rain water and I began to become a little disappointed with the prospect of having to don the Gumby suit...



The bubbling white clouds looked as though they were being pushing east into oblivion and sunshine and blue sky's were winning out! Without any wrong turns or miscalculations Wyatt and I rolled onto the Wheels Through Time property. 
My brain promptly went into vapor-lock. The amount of bikes was incredible, staggering and I became hobbled with awe as I tried to absorb the machines, machines that were not hermetically sealed in a sanitary glass case, but there on the floor waiting to fire up!







We did not spend as much time as we wanted-maybe four hours I don't remember but we had a six hour ride ahead of us. I vowed to return and I will this August! The first leg of the ride north was a real bummer! The super-slab was wall-to-wall traffic; all vehicles seemed to be driven by dingbats to include a small group of motorcyclist...Thankfully, once we turned north off of the 'slab, traffic mellowed out big time! Watching the western sky out of the edge of my left eye was the icing on the cake for a most excellent day...
...the air temperature was perfect! Those pictures make me warm and happy. The western sky was a kaleidoscope of sensory overload; every angle was another sliver of shades and shapes; the dusk show played out until the chilly black summer nightfall finally enveloped us. I found this gem tucked away in a nondescript mini-mall around Amherst just off of US29...
Those three mini-vans belonged to prospects for the, "Duggar's"-they were nice folk despite Wyatt trying to intimidate them-just kidding! Vito's was really good, so good that my warm full belly was suggesting that I just sleep in the parking lot. Wyatt and I pushed on north through the chilly night praying that Bambi would not try a reenactment from Tora! Tora! I knew where we were going but it was still a little tricky especially with the double corkscrew turns through the woods. The bright yellow glow of my favorite KOA was lit guiding us into the campground. Our cabin was the very first one on the left, spitting distance  to the head. Our truly epic, 18 hour, 600 plus mile day was over! We were expended like a shell casing ejected from a M16A2 service rifle!

1 comment: