1.27.2014

Miami to El Reno

This trip was a huge undertaking; route planning, sight-seeing, lodging, the whole enchilada! As the jefe of this two-wheeled expedition I was feeling some pressure-about 99.9% of the pressure was self-induced. Trying to tackle Route 66 is not easy; I planned the best I could and rolled the dice for the big money! My compadres were pretty easy going; whenever the stress monster would try and make an appearance I told him to go pound sand!
After Baxter Springs our next stop was the town of Miami, pronounced my-am-uh...Mr. Thompson is the supremo two-wheeled ambassador...
...as seen here at the Miami visitor's center; two weeks later I would return and they remembered me without any prompting...Here are some sights of downtown Miami...
One u-turn later, we were on our way south to Claremore. 
The big draw for us was the Davis Gun Museum. We had it on good authority that it actually takes three whole days to view all of the artifacts and firearms...
Mr. and Mrs. Davis are entombed on location...
And before I died of hunger, JT and I sought assistance in finding a good place for lunch; the kind employee at the front desk informed us that we should eat at the Los Aztecas of course I really had no idea where 'everything'
was in Claremore, let a lone a Mexican restaurant; the kind employee provided us with 'easy' directions to 'avoid' the traffic. The reality was this: it was a lot easier for us to deal with a little construction traffic than it was to try and follow the 'local short-cut'; Los Aztecas DID NOT disappoint! Muey Bueno! Finding this place was a real coup considering I had no idea if the recommendation would be any good, in fact I took my family here two weeks later! We all ate like kings and returned to the museum to try and finish the sights.
Time marches forward and we needed to lay down some miles before the sun went down. I entertained some grand thoughts of riding ALL of Route 66, however, that plan became a very dull experience of concrete and asphalt jungle through Tulsa; I bit the bullet and led the posse onto the Oklahoma Turnpike. Here at the keyboard I am a bit chilly due to the Arctic weather but the temperature was just about perfect as we hammered west on the super-slab! Traffic became a little goofy as we entered Oklahoma City from the east; my head was on a swivel as I maneuvered from one lane to another ensuring that all of us were heading west on the right strip of plaster colored super-slab, all the while dealing with rush-hour traffic. The posse and I managed to make all of the lane changes that we needed and soon our machines were pouring on steam unencumbered by rush hour traffic.
Not so beautiful were the damaged trees that looked like Joshua Trees next to the super-slab; it took me a moment before it registered in my tired mind that those 'Joshua Trees' were actually trees that had been stripped by the mega El Reno tornado that roared through a few months ago...
When those images registered in my mind, goosebumps swept over me! Wow! That storm swept over the same place that we are riding upon! I think I rolled on some more throttle without thinking about it because I started to see signage for our KOA and soon enough our exit was before us; we swooped down into the campground, checked-in and carefully rode to our cabin that would serve as our headquarters for this leg of the trip. Once our gear was dumped inside we stretched our weary legs walking up to the Cherokee Trading Post...
...I believe we were the last customers of the day; we tried ordering what our belly's wanted only to have our tired waitresses inform us more than once that we would have to make another menu choice. Dinner was long in-coming and we past the time talking, gesturing and laughing loudly as we recounted our long day. We had a special guest join us at our table, another brother of the wind who was in the midst of his own high mileage adventure that included some rather unfortunate catastrophic motor work...non-the-less, we all enjoyed hearing his tale and company! I recall that we shut the place down and after paying our sleep deprived hostess, we headed down to our cabin; we were to awake to sleep so we enjoyed each others company talking about the days trip and past adventures. Eventually we called it a day and dropped off into the oblivion of sound sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent times, awesome post...well done on the trip and the recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! More to come during the winter doldrums!

    ReplyDelete