9.16.2013

33 Hours: The Ride Home

I managed to avoid a Timothy Treadwell, a.k.a. "Grizzly Man" experience; the only threatening situation I had to deal with was a passing rain shower. I managed to throw the rain-fly on over my tent, despite being in a place between awake and asleep, thus allowing me to return to the Land of Nod. Later on, I awoke to clear, late summer morning sunrise. I felt good! My silver "Walking Liberty" pocket-watch displayed a time around 6 o'clock. I decided that I was not in a rush! My campsite was calm, quiet and peaceful; why should I rush? With a keen sense of peace I packed up my tent, opened up the JetBoil Cafe and consumed a great cup of coffee! I should mention that I discovered the door of the Bear Box was in fact not secure! Thankfully, the contents were intact!
The breakfast special was three packs of Quaker Oatmeal strawberries and cream...

My little campsite was like a natural breakfast nook; I reflected upon a chapter from Zechariah and Revelation; meditating over God's word in the midst of His beautiful creation is special! I savored the time and told Him so! The warm eastern sunshine, broken up by the late summer leaves warmed my bones and soul. Breakfast clean-up was a breeze and soon Ole Girl and I were rumbling out of the campground and back out on to the Sky Line Drive. Shortly after entering the SLD I saw mom-ma-bear, with two cubs in tow, ABOVE me on a huge tree branch! WOW! I clicked a mental picture as I continued on in awe! The 15 miles to U.S. 33 was very mellow; a slight chill in the air; the road switched between a western view and an eastern view...
...eventually I exited the park and out on to U.S. 33 east...
'33 was pretty steep and curvy...
Ole Girl and I floated down off the mountain and onto the the rolling terra firma that is VA 230....
VA230 paralleled the park for a bit before shooting east over to U.S.29; Ole Girl and I picked-up '29 and rode on up to the Hazel River A.G, church,
 located north of Culpeper in the area of Rixeyville. I was a bit early which surprised me; there were some other earlybirds in the church parking lot. Once I was through getting situated I entered the church through the main door; while I was the center of attention for the folks in the foyer, a friendly young man introduced himself. The church service was worth the stop; the pastor actually used the Bible quite a bit! After the service, I saddled back up and started my three hour ride home. Traffic was a wee bit congested on U.S. 15 and there were a few motorist that were just plain rude! None-the-less, Ole Girl and I had a pleasant ride home. Riding home on the Turnpike, the engine, road and my mind all synchronized; a physical and mental, cohesive unit. A lone rider loaded down with camping gear roared up next to me in the left lane, we both acknowledged each other with a knowing nod; he hit the afterburners while Ole Girl and I were content at our cruising speed. Sweet! Another traveler! Alas our exit was upon us and with a tinge of sadness, Ole Girl and I exited and thus leaving behind the summer of 2013! Thirty-three hours later I was back home. With the road noise and experiences ringing and whirring in my ears and mind I was greeted by my excited wife and daughter, "Well, how was it?: my wife asked.
"Well...

2 comments:

  1. The 35 mph limit on Skyline Drive can be tedious, but after a while it's not too bad. Lots of deer, even in broad daylight, I had some fairly close calls so the speed limit wasn't all bad. The Blue Ridge Parkway south of the National Park bumps up to 45 (if I'm not mistaken) which is a bit more tolerable. I like the lack of commercial traffic and numerous camp facilities.
    I never got to see a bear though, you lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermit-I enjoyed seeing the bear very much! I was tempted to stop but I did not! Glad to hear that the BRP is 45 instead of 35!

    ReplyDelete