9.09.2013

33 Hours: Getting There

I sweet-talked the missus into an over-night trip down to the Shenandoah National Park; part of the sweet talkin' was the cheap cost; $15- for a campsite and $0 for the meals I would require, that only left freedom-fuel, $60-. The plan was very simple and the route fresh: leave the casa early Saturday morning ride down to Front Royal, Virginia and hop onto the Skyline Drive: final destination, Loft Mountain Campground at milepost 80. Saturday morning was a nippy 48F, crisp azure skys and atomic sunshine. I threw on an extra layer and lit the wick. Google will tell you to use the Turnpike and Interstate 81 and I will tell you to use the Turnpike, U.S. 15 to MD 77, to a very scenic MD 67, to U.S. 340 and right to the entrance to the Shenandoah N.P.
Fifty miles into the trip I needed to warm hands up!
Crossing the Potomac River from Maryland into West Virginia on U.S. 340.
The bicyclists on MD 77 and MD 67 challenged my patience, however, I directed my attention to the very scenic Maryland countryside. Soon enough they were gone and I was well into West Virginia and finally Virginia. While I was at a traffic-light waiting my turn, I laid eyes on this beauty...

Ole Girl wanted her picture taken...

I dared to enter Dionsaurland hoping to maybe find Will and Holly but instead I almost was eaten up!
They were closing in on me so I started my escape...
...running past a King Cobra, King Kong...
I failed to find Will and Holly but I succeeded in finding this righteous, 50 year-old gem!
I made it back to Ole Girl by the skin of my teeth...
The relaxing ride on down to the bustling town of Front Royal helped me to quickly recover from my terrifying prehistoric experience, however, I needed more therapy since I failed to rescue poor Will and Holly...




2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...this post rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I think ya'll would have enjoyed the trip!

    ReplyDelete