8.28.2013

Sharpsburg, MD, pt. 2: The Pry House

When I laid eyes on the sign for the Pry House/Gen. McClellean's Headquarters, I thought best to heed to that inner-voice that was suggesting that we might miss something. I committed Ole Girl and myself to the sharp right-hand turn and rolled onto a quit tree line road leading up to a brick home...
There were only about three cars parked by the barn and it seemed as though we were the only visitors. The silence was a little
unnerving maybe because the farm seemed like a typical Maryland/Pennsylvania farm minus the normal farming activity. A couple of information plaques explained the significance of the Pry Farm...
This type of action taken by an army was not new to warfare and is still acceptable even to this day. The architecture of the house is pretty normal, however, the location was special and the events that transpired within were as well. I elected not to visit inside since I still wanted to explore the actual battlefield; here are some exterior shots of the home:
Below is a shot looking right out at the battlefield...
Satisfied, we loaded up and left for the battlefield. Leaving, I thought about the heat and the bugs that were annoying me, the foliage on the trees and the rolling hills and flat fields, I was reflecting on the fact that much has not changed physically from September 15, 1862, to August 24, 2013. Not quite stepping back in time but close...
Here is a link to the NPS Antietam National Battlefield website.
Part 3, "The Battlefield".

No comments:

Post a Comment