8.23.2013

OIO Day 1 pt. 2 Pennsylvania to Indiana

Wyatt and I pulled off of the Turnpike at Breezewood for a hearty breakfast at the Gateway Restaurant. I kept a close eye on the omnipresent Weather Channel while I ate my breakfast. I was looking forward to exiting the Turnpike and onto a highway that I never traveled before. I wanted to use US 50 all the way to North Vernon, Indiana. However, the time/distance issue dictated that we use I 68 to I 79 in order to reach US 50...the beautiful dawn sunrise was now replaced with an overcast industrial-gray cloud cover...
Well into West Virginia, I spotted a bike rider on the side of the highway that seemed to be wrestling with something. Wyatt and I slowed down, pulled over, and stopped to see if we could give the rider a hand...
...the rider explained to us that his bike cover became loose and had been partially eaten by his Triumph's chain/sprocket. The rider freed what was left of the rain cover with my Gerber knife. Soon after we rolled back onto the highway, the green bands I had seen earlier on the Weather Channel became a reality for us; we donned our rain suits and powered on. A few hours later, we took them off in Chilicothe, Ohio but only after we rode around in circles due to a lack of signage for US 50...Wyatt and I continued on westward and eventually after about a hundred miles we reached the outskirts of Cincinnati, as in WKRP in Cincinnati! Once again the powers to be seemingly failed to provide proper signage for the route I wanted to use. We maneuvered our way deeper into the city just as a classic coal-black, shark-gray, afternoon summer thunderstorm poured onto us with a righteous fury. Of course my rain suit was not on...but I needed to pay attention to the gauntlet of construction barrels, barricades and potholes and any sign that would let me know where to go! Ohio didn't seem to want to release us, however, Wyatt and I powered on and cleared Cincinnati....


Thankfully the sun reappeared above the Ohio/Indiana state line! I knew that our destination was not that much further; the sun re-energized me, and my hand twisted the throttle a little more. The suburban sprawl gave way to small Indian towns and soon enough we were in Jennings County...
and into downtown North Vernon which happened to be in the throes of summer road construction. None the less, Wyatt and I made several navigation corrections and soon we were greeted by the man himself, Wes. I expected to see JT and Ken before us, however, they were no where to be seen! Wes greeted us with open arms and a big ole Indiana smile! I felt like I was just arriving at a family reunion; not much more after that JT and Ken came rolling down the block and into the driveway. Their presence made the 'reunion' complete. Wes' family treated us famously and their hospitality made me feel just like I was at home with my own family! The road weariness of the 600 mile day was chased away by the sweet conversation and tasty food! But it caught up with me while we were shootin' the bull; I was beat but I still wanted to spend more time talking! Alas, we needed to get some shut eye! That night I slept like a king!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really digging this, getting to see the trip from all the different perspectives. Awesome, awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One trip, five hombres, five different views with the camera and mind! I am most definitely enjoying your take and Wes's take on our epic journey!

    ReplyDelete