6.09.2013

Sturgis 2008: Best Day?

I left the Black Hills early in the cool morning. The road home started down a curvy dirt and gravel road that led out to a solid black hard-ball road. Ole Girl and I had the early morning sunshine upon us and in our eyes. Rapid City was traversed quickly and deftly. The black hard-ball morphed into the monument gray super-slab and shot us out onto Interstate 90. While the attendees of the 68th Black Hills Classic slept their nocturnal escapades off, Ole Girl and I got up to speed, mellowed out and meditated on what the trip home would be like, solo, without any other rider(s) accompanying us. I was lost in my thoughts about what I would find in my Grandfather's hometown of Valentine, Nebraska when I heard the tel-tale sound of a South Dakota Highway Patrol cruiser wailing and then seeing a red and blue disco light show in my rear-view mirror; I knew that I was not speeding and so did Ole Girl. I figured, 'Hey, he must be after someone else.' Well, that was not the case. I nudged Ole Girl carefully off to the shoulder and shut her down and waited for the trooper. Shortly afterwards he came up to me and explained to me that handlebars above the shoulder are in fact illegal in the state of South Dakota; I knew this to be a fact since on of his compodres had stopped me a week earlier in and around this area (Murdo)
He instructed me to get into his Ford Police Interceptor and have a seat up front. So, I did and while I felt guilty for...I don't know what! But I felt queasy like maybe I had blacked-out somewhere and killed a vacationing family but didn't know it because I was trained by the government at a secret location with Jason Bourne...Okay relax! I took a breath and tried to relax; while I was doing that I caught my reflection in a mirror and noticed that I had a huge streak of blue steering neck grease on my cheek (Ole Girl seemingly pukes grease from her steering neck-just the way she is!) Very nonchalantly I wiped the grease off of my face and acted as though I was having a swell time in a police car! By this time, the kind trooper issued me a free State of South Dakota souvenir warning card reminding me that handlebars can't be this and that, blah, blah; 'Thank you for not giving me a ticket, sir!' So, with my free official souvenir, I left the nice trooper and reunite with Ole Girl who feels slighted because back home her bars are perfectly legal...'Its okay honey, they are like that during bike week'. Well, the next exit is Murdo and that is where we want to be, this is where we'll leave the super-slab and enter onto U.S. 83 but first we'll have breakfast. I seem to recall hearing some patrons whining about something while I was trying to enjoy my vittles but I blocked it out and ate up. The sun was shinning and the road was beckoning me. My knees were actually a little weak with excitement as we  rolled south into parts unknown! It did not take to long before we were rewarded with stunning views....
I felt as though I could see all the way to Texas! I moved down the road a little bit more where my steel horse met some high-plains horses who seemed rather curious about us...
Wow! We were so stoked! Ole Girl and I left our curious friends and rambled on down the line where we had another surprise; we caught an actual cowboy out on his steed. We greeted each other and he allowed me to take a couple of pictures...
This morning was the best day of my whole trip! The weather felt so good folks were friendly, despite awkward situations; but seeing the horses and the cowboy was excellent thus sealing this day as the best day of my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment