9.08.2012

Beartooth Run 2012: Casper to Powell pt. 1: Casper to Thermopolis

Ron and I enjoyed a sumptuous meal at the motel and now it was time to hit the road for what would turn out to be a gem of a ride. This morning we would be riding from Casper to Powell. Our ride would consist of three legs: Casper to Shoshoni, Shoshoni to Cody, Cody to Powell. I was really excited for this part of the trip because I had not been to this area of Wyoming; Casper to Cody. The leg between Casper and Shoshoni was pretty flat and open...
Shoshoni is just outside of the Wind River Indian Reservation, south of the Owl Creek Mountains. Evidently, U.S. 20/WY 789, from Shoshoni to Thermopolis is a scenic byway. The disconnect between a one-dimensional map and the three-dimensional world became readily apparent as we rolled north through the Wind River Canyon-a sliver of asphalt that follows the Big Horn River, barely slicing through the Owl Creek Mountains. Three tunnels bore through the strata, allowing passage north into the Bighorn Basin. The thirty-two mile ride put my senses on overload. The highway, river and railroad tracks squeeze through the mountains...

I have studied my maps of Wyoming intently and have always wondered and imagined what this part of Wyoming was actually like. The beauty was overwhelming and I would say a well kept secret! My next post will cover the ride from Thermopolis to Powell.

2 comments: