8.22.2012

Tar Bubble


Tar spray on the motor.
 Originally I was going to do this post around the time of the last installment but when I was washing my bike and noticing the amount of tar that ended up on the forks and engine it really sunk in a little more! Please look closely at the rockerbox and cylinder head; notice the black 'spray'. That is tar! Riding home on the last day of the Beartooth Run we were rolling east bound on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Now, I was always taught the shiny stuff on the roadway is bad! Maybe you were taught that as well-it could be ice, oil or some other substance that will cause your machine's tire to break contact with the road surface and causing one to go down. Of course those of us that live where winter occurs, ice, cold weather and the white flaky stuff, know that a lot of construction takes place during the summer; Pennsylvania is no exception! By the time we hit Donegal I had to make a headcall (bathroom break) but construction was rocking so I just held it a little bit longer than was 'comfortable'. By the time the construction was over I REALLY had to go BAD! My plan was to simply stop at the next bridge and take care of my business beneath the bridge around the corner where no one could see me. About a quarter mile out I see a bridge, "Great!" I also noticed that the asphalt looked very fresh and new-shiny new but not from water. I signal that I'm stopping and start down shifting, carefully slowing down and moving over onto the shoulder. As I make my move onto the shoulder my sense of urgency increases and I start to think that the levee is going to break...just as I am about to stop I notice a very shiny tar blister. At the same time my eye is seeing this and telling my brain, my right hand is squeezing the front brake lever. Please understand that the amount of time that actually passed was quicker than the amount of time that it took me to type this out! Before I knew it, I was looking at the world somewhere between horizontal and vertical as my front wheel slid in the tarbubble-now ole girl was laying down on her exhaust and I was almost pinned between her and the concrete wall of the bridge.

Flaking paint where the bar bent...time for another set!
 I was shocked by how quickly this happened, mad, disgusted but thankful that I did not end up in the travel lane as a speedbump or as a crash-test dummy against the wall. Of course somehow my bars got tweaked...Ron and I righted ole girl, I made my headcall and I was reminded of two things: 1) Shiny is bad, winter or summer. 2) Stay focused on the road to avoid the tunnel vision of getting home. Originally I was going to do this post around the time of the last installment but when I was washing my bike and noticing the amount of tar that ended up on the forks and engine it really sunk in a little more!

Best to clean this when hot...perhaps this weekend?
 This was the second incident involving tar but I will save that story for another time!

4 comments:

  1. wow - good advice - glad youre ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer but glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin/JT: Thanks! The bars aer tweaked just enough that I will have to replace them-bummer fo shore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.zombieperformance.com/

    I'm looking at getting a set of his bars for a winter overhaul. Awesome choices...

    ReplyDelete