12.26.2011

Outlaw Run 2011: Greybull,WY

Wyatt and I dodged the bikers and made it into the metropolis of Greybull. I stopped here last year and I was glad to be stopping again. Greybull is one of the bigger towns this side of the Bighorn River and like a lot of western towns the avenues are wide. We didn't fool around finding a place to eat and that was good because the joint we picked quickly filled up with our pedal-powering buddies...the place was swamped and the help overwhelmed but the food was good, the AC worked and the vibe was good natured.
We left the establishment to the carbohydrate deprived bikers to explore Greybull. We walked a few blocks to the Greybull historical museum that was also a library. I suspected that it may have been a school at sometime based on the industrial-yellow paint-institutional-smell but who cares! inside we found a big room that contained a bunch of geological displays, Indian artifacts, firearm artifacts and some other odds and ends. It was not the Smithsonian but so what! What you have is a good slice of the surrounding area with out the Ivory Tower attitudes! Wyatt and I probably enjoyed seeing the WWII rifles the most and the buffalo skull that was missing a chunk of its head...We walked around town a little longer checking out some of the small shops and taking pictures. When we were down terrorizing the town we lit the wick turned left onto US Highway 16/Wyoming Highway 789. The ride south to Worland is a flat 40 mile ride that follows the Bighorn  River, in the Bighorn Basin which is an expanse of 'flat land' between the Bighorn Mountains and the Rocky Mmountains to the west that make up the Shoshone National Forest over by Cody. Wyatt and I would be making a sharp left in the other big town of Worland after riding our 40 miles...

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I forgot to ask, where was the jelly stone camp ground that you stayed at in Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just past Plymouth right off of US30.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on. Thats way north of me. There is another camp ground of the same name that is only about 25 minutes south of me. I was going to be disappointed if you had passed that close without meeting up for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig small towns like this. When I was out west the towns that peppered the wide open spaces were often just as enjoyable as the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JBMFT-No doubt! And you never know what cool shops you'll find!
    Wes-No worries! I am always down for meeting up with folks while on the road if at all possible!

    ReplyDelete