2.22.2011

Wounded Knee






The Wounded Knee Massacre occurred on December 29, 1890 on the Pine Ridge Reservation. I made a point to visit here during my trip to the Black Hills. The folks here are extremely poor. Talking with them you pick up on a quite desperation.
Wounded Knee, Gettysburg (Devils Den area), and the Little Bighorn Battlefield all seem to have the same feel. The past is not so past and the battles seem to rage on even on clear, warm summer days over a century later.
Ironically, it was Custer's old unit, the 7th Cavalry, that was involved at Wounded Knee...
I suspect that a lot of folks who visit the Black Hills are not even aware of Wounded Knee. If your travels ever bring you here, take the time to visit!

6 comments:

  1. I love all the history Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan-Glad to hear that! THere sure is a lot of it out there! I really did not know a lot about that part of our country until I started visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. id like to ride to sturgis - and see all of this while im out there... would be quite a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustin-I've been there twice and I'd like to go again just to see everything minus the bikeweek crowd. I really want to take my wife and daughter out there...always have a trip on the backburnner...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I see a Family Trip in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not there this year. How about Santa Fe, Chama, Pagosa Springs, Durango, and Moab! Just 4 months to go!

    ReplyDelete